Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Book List - Initial Take

Here's the book list, in no particular order. I'm also open to suggestions, via either comment or e-mail:

Definite:
King Lear
Macbeth
Irish Fairy and Folk Tales
Travels with Charley
Leaves of Grass
Eat, Pray, Love
Hamlet
Roughing It
Christian Community Bible, OT
Christian Community Bible, NT
The Life of Thomas More
Emerson: Selected Essays
Godel, Escher, Bach
American Lion
Notes of a Native Son
Moby-Dick
The Great Gatsby
Parliament of Whores
Team of Rivals
Catch-22
Heart of Darkness
Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?
Uncle Vanya
The Three Sisters
The Peloponnesian War
The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
The Corrections
Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me
Loser Goes First
Infinite Jest
Army at Dawn
The Post-American World
A Tale of Two Cities

Maybes (These are under consideration but may be cut for space, time, lack of interest...):
Practical Ethics
Plato's Republic
The Once and Future King
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Autobiography of Malcolm X
A People's History of the United States
Don Quixote
Ulysses
Dante's Inferno
The Prince
Underworld
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love
Parable of the Talents
Aristotle's Poetics

Authors (I want to read something by each of these authors):
Cormac McCarthy
Jonathan Lethem
José Saramago
John Updike (likely a Rabbit book)

4 comments:

  1. I have a hard time understanding why "Eat, Pray, Love" is so popular. Actually, I take that back - I am assuming that it's popular since, much like "Twilight", it is female escapist fantasy which makes it easy for some people to overlook the implausibility and bad writing. I'm interested to see what you think of it, since I apparently was out of sync with my gender when reading it.

    How many of the listed books above have you already read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eat Pray Love is on the list because my wife's been after me to read it for a year. So, we'll see what I think of it.

    I've read:
    Hamlet
    Travels with Charley
    Moby-Dick
    The Great Gatsby
    Parliament of Whores
    Catch-22
    Heart of Darkness
    The Once and Future King (though I think I'll probably drop this)

    Read parts of:
    Leaves of Grass
    The old and new testaments
    Life of Thomas More (first 4 chapters)
    Emerson's Essays (Intro and first chapter)

    Seen:
    King Lear

    ReplyDelete
  3. skip doris kearns goodwin. plagiarists are scum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @shinronin: From the Wikipedia article on DKG: "Her biography of Abraham Lincoln, Team Of Rivals, has been free from accusation." Yeah, I know it's Wikipedia, but unless someone can point me to accusations particular to Team of Rivals, I'm going to continue reading it.

    That said, I do agree that to plagiarize is quite the scummy thing to do.

    ReplyDelete